Friday, December 28, 2007

Getting Back to Basics

What is my greatest desire? What is the most important thing in all of life to me? It is this: to hear the Lord I love say to me, “Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master” (Matt. 25:23). Heaven is a wonderful goal, but I want even more than heaven to please the Lord who has loved me so abundantly and graciously.

“Faithful over a little…” Another version says, “faithful in a few things.” None of us is perfect, nor can we be. We all do our best to serve the Lord we love. Or, do we? Are we faithful even over a few things? Are we faithful in attendance? In prayer? In regular Bible study? In our moral lives? In our service? Can God depend on us personally to spread His word?

We are responsible to use well what God has given us. The issue is not how much we have but how well we use what we have. Each believer should faithfully carry out the duties entrusted to him or her by God and multiply his or her God-given “talents” for the sake of the kingdom.

As we ponder the coming year, the best thing we can do is to get back to basics, to practice the things that help us to grow spiritually healthy and strong. We cannot do that apart from the basics.

Are you as spiritually strong today as you were a year ago? Where will you be spiritually in a year?

Phil

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Phil. Let's make sure we our basics are the same as the Lord's.

Phil Sanders said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
preacherman said...

Phil,
I pray that 2008 will be a better year for you than 2007. I pray that God will bless you and your family than ever before. My prayer is that His Church will always be glorified by the things that we do.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry

Phil Sanders said...

thanks Kinney for your kind words. I am praying that God will bless all who read this blog with love and good things in the coming year.

Phil