- Fifteen hundred pastors leave the ministry each month due to moral failure, spiritual burnout, or contention in their churches.
- Four thousand new churches begin each year, but over seven thousand churches close their doors.
- Fifty percent of pastors are so discouraged that they would leave the ministry if they could, but have no other way of making a living.
- Almost forty percent polled said they have had an extra-marital affair since beginning their ministry.
- Eighty percent of pastors surveyed spend less than fifteen minutes a day in prayer.
- Seventy percent said the only time they spend studying the Word is when they are preparing their sermons.
After reading this statistic, I want to pray a whole lot more.
PS. Churches of Christ have lost 69 congregations (2000-2006). This is eleven per year. How many of these were mergers is hard to know. Two new plants have taken place near my home since 2003 (Heritage in Franklin and Spring Meadows in Spring Hill).